Whether in a business or personal space, choices are unlimited and have a profound effect on who we are as individuals and who we are as professionals. Whilst life sometimes decides to throw a spanner in the works, we, as human beings, have the tremendous ability to choose what to do with that spanner. Additionally, great opportunities and positive experiences in life are really gifts we have given ourselves through powerful moments of choice along the way, not just simply “as luck may have it.”
The power of choice is one of the most fundamental lessons I have learned throughout my corporate career and as readers your life and your career comes down to the fact you get to choose…
- You choose not only how you behave but also how you feel.
- Nothing and no one can make you feel anything unless you choose to let them
- How you feel is the gateway to your spirit
- How you choose to feel is the most powerful influence you have on the strength of your own spirit and ultimately your success
As you journey through your careers choose:
- To continue to build your capabilities
- You will never have learned everything
- Learn from people all around you no matter their age or seniority. I have learned more from my children and staff than I have from most people in life
- Look for mentors, people who have walked the path before and can share their wisdom
- Be curious
- Question and explore
- Find ways to learn and grow through each experience and at every step along the way
Choose to nurture and protect your spirit so you have the positive energy you need to leverage the power of your capabilities.
- How you feel – the emotions you allow to impact you
- To respect and value who you are and what you can contribute
- To believe in your ability to find the way to succeed
- To strive and invest energy to create the reality and life you want
- To challenge and set aside unfounded fears and limiting beliefs that hold you back
- Jobs that are meaningful and fulfilling
- Careers that you love and enrich your life
- Companies and colleagues you can trust and respect and feel the same in return
- Choose to guide others, energise their spirit and help them also to succeed
Think about all the choices you have made in the past and will have to make today, tomorrow and in the New Year.
Own them, stand by them because regardless of whether the consequences are positive or otherwise you made a proactive choice to experience, to learn and grow in all aspects of your life.
Enjoy making your choices today! First off: Latte or Cappuccino? Hmmmmmm